These cupcakes are sure to be a big hit at your next brunch, dinner party or even kids birthday party! You'll want to double or triple the recipe if making these for a party because they will go quickly!
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.
Maple bacon cupcakes
Yields 6 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 4-1/2 tablespoons softened butter
- 5 pieces of thick cut bacon
- 5 tablespoons of brown sugar, dark
- 4 tablespoons of pure maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 1-1/4 cup flour (self-rising)
- 1/4 cup light cream
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
For the frosting:
- 6 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 1/2 tablespoons bourbon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners or spray liberally with cooking spray.
- Cook bacon until crispy. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel to blot grease. Save 2 tablespoons bacon drippings and place in the refrigerator to solidify.
- Once hardened, place drippings in mixing bowl with butter, beat until fluffy. Add sugar, maple syrup and egg, beat well. Alternate adding flour, baking soda and baking powder with cream, ending with dry ingredients. Mix in 1/2 cup bacon pieces. Fill muffin tins about 3/4 full and cook for about 20 - 22 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- While cupcakes cook, prepare frosting by mixing the butter, sugar, vanilla and syrup in a mixing bowl with a handheld mixer. Once cupcakes have completely cooled, frost. Sprinkle with additional bacon and enjoy!