Sure, there’s something to be said for a nice, sweet, fresh melon, but fruit like cantaloupe can have more than a one sweet note. They have savory elements that can be brought out with the right spices and a little heat for a soup no one is likely to forget.
- 1/2 cantaloupe, cut into squares
- 4 strips maple bacon
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 4 leaves basil, sliced thin
- Paprika for garnish
- Pour the cantaloupe into a food processor with a little water and blend to a smooth puree. Set aside.
- Next, put the bacon in a skillet over medium heat and slowly cook it, letting the fat render out into the skillet. When the bacon isn’t giving up any more fat, remove and discard it and add the garlic. Cook 30 seconds and then add the cantaloupe, hot sauce, and cayenne. Bring to the cantaloupe to the point where it is just barely starting to bubble. Put the soup in the refrigerator to cool.
- When you are ready to serve, add a few strings of basil and a shake of paprika for color.